|“||I will avenge my brother!||”|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Family||Atsushi Ogura (Older Brother; deceased)|
|Cause of Death||Neck broken after falling from a window, body bent at unnatural angle (Anime continuity)|
Yumi Ogura is one of the students of 9 Grade Class 3 in 1998. She and Takako Sugiura assisted Izumi Akazawa in her duties as the head of countermeasures, acting as her right and left hands. She is in the Drama club with Aya Ayano and Izumi.
Yumi was present for Kouichi's first day of class ("Rough Sketch"). She stood off to the side, talking to Junta and Takako, rather than welcoming her new classmate like her friend Aya. Yumi was also present for Kubodera-sensei's suicide, but wasn't among the group to leave right away, she's seen on her knees in shock on the situation before pulling herself together and exiting the classroom.
In "Body Paint", she and Aya Ayano met Kouichi and Naoya in front of the old school building, looking for Mr. Chibiki for some acting advice. Later, when Aya and Yumi part ways, Yumi continued home and found the front of her house had been crushed by an excavator. Her brother, Atsushi Ogura, was found dead in his room. At roughly the same time, the Ayanos' car was hit by a falling rock and went over the side of the mountain, killing Aya and her family. Both losses devastated Yumi.
In "Glass Eye", she went on the class trip and sat with Izumi and the other girls at dinner. She was present when Izumi blamed the calamity on Mei, but like Takako, did not actually take part in the shouting match which followed.
In "Makeup", Yumi heard the tape played by her countermeasures partner, Takako. She was shocked and enraged at the news. Taking a knife from her room, she set out to kill Mei, claiming her actions were to avenge her brother. Driven by revenge, the normally quiet Yumi led the hunt for Mei and Kouichi, forcing Kouichi to hit her, knocking her back into Kyouko making both girls fall, something Kouichi apologized for as he ran away.
Furious, Yumi and the others continued pursuing the two into one of the inn's rooms. Yumi ordered her fellow students to step aside before kicking the door in and following Mei and Kouichi onto a slippery window ledge. While attempting to kill Mei with the knife, Yumi leaned too far as she swung her knife and lost her balance, falling to the ground and breaking her neck. She died instantly on impact, her body bent at an unnatural angle.
She has brown, shoulder length hair with a pink hair clip, light golden-brown eyes, and is usually seen wearing the Yomiyama North girl's school uniform. She is one of the few main characters not seen outside of school, so her casual clothing is never shown.
Personality and TraitsEdit
Yumi seems to have a shy personality, as she doesn't talk much and is very quiet. She is concerned about class 3's countermeasures, working with Izumi and Takako. Yumi is a calm, gentle, quiet, and innocent girl, contrasting with Izumi's harsh personality and Takako's colder demeanor. She often blushes.
Yumi was good friends with Aya Ayano, as well as Junta Nakao and Takako Sugiura, whom she often spent breaks with. She is also very close to her reclusive brother, Atsushi.
Her brother and Aya's deaths devastated Yumi and caused her to lose her sanity. She developed a strong hate towards Mei, blaming her for their deaths and wanting to avenge them. She followed Takako over the edge and attempted to kill Mei in Episode 11, which only lead to her own death.
Main article: Yumi Ogura/Image Gallery
- Her first name, Yumi, means "beauty".
- Her home address is 2-8 Akatsukicho Yomiyama City.
- She is ranked A+ in Another characters ranking.
- In the original novel, Yumi survived the curse, though Izumi fell to her death from the inn (though not while trying to kill Mei at the time). This change was probably made as Izumi assumed a much larger role in the anime, and was therefore given a more fittingly dramatic death.
- She doesn't appear directly in the manga, though a girl who bears a slight resemblance to her can be seen talking to Mei with Takako after the class stops ignoring her. This character is unnamed. Likewise, she doesn't appear in the film.
- Yumi, while being present in the novel, is never referred to by name; in keeping with normal Japanese custom, she is only ever referred to as "Ogura" and has no dialogue, and is usually found near Izumi and Takako. Interestingly, her given name is only ever stated in the anime, despite her brother's full name being known before hand. The scene of Yumi sliding out of her chair following Kubodera's suicide is present in the novel, but was the act of an unnamed female student.